Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Precious


One experience that has changed my life happened May 16th 2013. The school year was winding down and can get a little chaotic. It was a day that started like any other work day. I was at work getting ready to watch our Freshman present their Passages. This is a presentation they have to do at the end of the year to show all the changes, growth and challenges they have experienced in their first year of high school. For most of the freshman, it’s pretty nerve racking. The morning was spent doing lots of final touches to presentations and last minute request for things that might be needed. Copying papers for guests and making sure everyone knew the schedule of events. I work with some really cool people, of course there are some I like more than others. One of my best friends works at my school. He is a great guy, terrific dad and fantastic husband. He is very articulate and thoughtful. He is also very playful and that saved me big time when I first started working at school. He would crack a joke or two just to make me smile and realize, things here are not meant to be taken too seriously. We have always had a very open friendship and share lots of special moments. He has two wonderful kids that I love and a magnificent wife. His family is amazing and welcoming towards me. He was lucky enough to fall in love with a brilliant women that was just the right match for him. She does not take any of his $h!t, in fact she challenges him by serving it right back. He needs this. I, unfortunately, did not get to attend the wedding of these two  majestic people and it really hurt our friendship. They felt like I was unsupportive of their relationship and our friendship became strained and aloof. Things remained cordial between us, but the loving friendship had been bruised. Years passed and time does heal but something else happened on May 16th. My friend was sick. I saw it in his face right away. He was pale, sweaty and confused. I asked him if he was ok and he told me no. That was a HUGE sign that he needed help. He is definitely not the type of person to openly express his need for help if there is not an immediate necessitate. I got him help as soon as I could, working at a school comes with this great amenity called a Nurse! Hey….I’ll take her over my health insurance any day of the year! Immediately the nurse told him he needed to go to the hospital, the catch was she wanted to call the ambulance. My friend is prideful like most people and did not want to accept a ride in an ambulance. Our nurse stayed firm in her decision and made the call. Four strong life responders came and took my  friend away on a gurney. Within 15 minutes he had a heart attack. Thankfully he was exactly where he needed to be and had incredible caring people throughout the whole ordeal! I’m very lucky to have my friend as he is like no other and is irreplaceable in my heart and life. Several times he has made mention to me, what will he do when I leave for Thailand. I smile and know that he will be just fine at school without me. I also think to myself, what would I have done if I lost him? Denis Waitley said, “Time and health are two precious assets that we don’t recognize and appreciate until they have been depleted.” I’m so proud of my friend for making changes in his life to keep him around longer for those of us that love him to enjoy him a little longer. Or maybe it’s to keep those that are annoyed by him more frustrated? He can be a bit of a nuisance too…it’s part of his charm. God forbid he ever read this blog because he is an English teacher and I will get a full report back on all my mistakes, that is also part of his charm. I learned to keep those irreplaceable friends and family members close, because when they do have to leave, I want to know they left knowing how much I loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment